Apply NOW for the 2018-2019
Sisulu-Walker Charter School of Harlem Lottery.
Although the application deadline for the 2018-2019 school year has passed, Sisulu-Walker Charter School of Harlem is still accepting applications for a place on our wait list for all children who will be entering kindergarten through fifth grade. The application deadline for all applicants was Sunday, April 1, 2018. Applications received after the deadline will be placed on the bottom of the wait list, after the lottery, in first come – first serve order. We encourage families to reach out to the school directly by visiting us.
The lottery is completely random with select preferences built in. We provide lottery preferences for siblings of current students and applicants in Community School District (CSD) 3. *To find your CSD visit NYC Department of Education School Search website.
Thank you for your interest in attending Sisulu-Walker Charter School of Harlem. At Sisulu-Walker Charter School of Harlem, we welcome all applicants regardless of background, educational level, or life circumstances. Our guiding principles of honor, achievement and service, nurture intellectual, emotional, artistic and social development in Central Harlem students in Kindergarten through 5th Grade. We are enthusiastic about your interest and we invite you to contact us at any point with questions or comments.
Click Here to Download Application
What is a Charter School?
- They are independent public schools of choice created by parents, educators and community leaders that operate under a five-year license or charter. They are not private schools and do not use vouchers.
- Public charter schools are open to all students – tuition free – and are designed to improve learning, particularly for students at risk of academic failure.
- They must meet all health, safety and civil rights standards but are freed from bureaucratic rules that inhibit creativity and innovation. They use this flexibility to better meet the needs of students and parents.
- In return for this independence and flexibility, public charter schools must set measurable goals for achievement – and attain them – or face the loss of their charter.
- They are funded by public tax dollars on a per pupil basis. Public charter schools must attract students to receive funding.
How are students admitted to charter schools?
Any child eligible for admission to a traditional public school is eligible for admission to a public charter school. All charter schools must enroll students through a blind lottery. Like all public schools, charter schools cannot discriminate on the basis of ethnicity, national origin, gender, or disability or any other reason covered by anti-discrimination law.
How do I apply?
NYC Common Online Charter School Application
*Online application available in multiple languages: English, Español, عربى, বাঙালি, Français, 한국어, Pусский, فارسی, Kreyòl Ayisyen and 中文.
Apply by MAIL or IN-PERSON:
Sisulu-Walker Charter School of Harlem
125 West 115 Street
New York, NY 10026
Phone: (212) 663-8216
*To find your CSD visit NYC Department of Education School Search website.